I love a good make-ahead meal to have on hand when life is crazy. It’s easy to whip up, and I love serving it to my one-year-old. I can sneak in those veggies, but it’s hearty enough to keep her full. We all love this easy dish in our house. I used peppers, corn, black beans, and onions, but this is a great dish to get creative. Start with your base of quinoa but change up those veggies! Would be yummy to add chopped broccoli or cooked and cubed sweet potatoes.
You could cook this in a regular skillet and transfer to a baking dish for the oven, but I prefer less clean up, so I used my Extrema 10″ 100% ceramic and nontoxic skillet. It’s safe for the oven, stove, and microwave. Can’t recommend this brand enough if you are looking for more nontoxic cookware. Not advertised, I just love this skillet and everything this company is about!
One Skillet Southwest Quinoa Bake
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mexican cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 avocado, optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook 1 1/2 cups of quinoa according to the package. I love cooking mine in my rice cooker! *I suggest rinsing and chopping your veggies while your quinoa cooks. You can also start the next step while it finishes cooking.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet or cast-iron skillet (I love using this nontoxic one) over medium heat in 1 tbsp. Olive oil. Once hot, add garlic, onion, and red pepper. Saute for 5-8 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- In a large bowl combine cooked quinoa, corn, black beans, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Transfer your quinoa mixture into the skillet. Stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with juice of 1/2 lime and diced avocado. Serve and Enjoy!