This pasta might be the more straightforward recipe ever, but it’s perfect for baby-led weaning, toddlers, kids, and adults. Although, for adults, you’d probably want to add more salt/pepper. The avocado mixed with full-fat yogurt makes a creamy sauce packed with healthy fats- perfect for those young kiddos!
I added measurements, but truthfully, you can wing it when it comes to this recipe. I usually go by how much of each I have in the fridge. I like this recipe cause most often I have these ingredients on hand! You could swap the smoked salmon for any protein- such as ground chicken, ground beef, etc. The possibilities are endless. I thought about just making this an Instagram post recipe, but then it gets lost in the IG feed. Here is a place you can always refer back when you are in a rut with recipes for your little ones.
As you can see, Temple was a huge fan. We also love her Gathre leather bib which wipes clean and comes in lots of colors. I also have the Gathre Midi Mat which I use under her high chair to catch all the food she drops. I’m often about this mat on my Instagram stories. The mat is definitely a top 5 best purchases I made for when Temple started eating. Her suction bowl is Avanchy, and her utensil is Bumkin, and they’re great for new eaters that haven’t mastered utensils.
Pasta with Avocado-Yogurt Sauce and Smoked Salmon
- 1 lb. pasta of choice (I recommend fusilli for new baby-led weaning and elbow or shells for kids. I love using Jovial brand brown rice pasta)
- 1/3 cup full fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 avocado, mashed
- about 1/2 cup chopped smoked salmon (I try to buy wild-caught salmon)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed butter
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (Note: I sometimes make extra to use in other recipes through the week!)
- I start by boiling water in a medium pot for my pasta. In a separate small saucepan begin boiling water for the frozen peas and carrots.
- Once water is boiling- cook pasta according to package and stir often. For BLW, I suggest Fusilli pasta since it's a bit longer and easier to pick up using their pincer grasp.
- Boil peas and carrots until soft. Drain when complete. Set aside.
- While your pasta and peas/carrots cook, you can blend your avocado & yogurt sauce. In a small bowl, mash one avocado. Add 1/3 cup of yogurt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Dice your smoked salmon.
- When pasta is cooked to your liking, drain and set aside. In that same saucepan, add 1 tbsp. grass-fed butter and turn the heat on stovetop to medium. When butter is melted, add your pasta back into the saucepan with your cooked peas/carrots, smoked salmon, and avocado yogurt sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and heat through (about 2-3 minutes)
- Note: I do not stress about exact measurements for this recipe and usually just use my desired amount of smoked salmon/peas and carrots. I mainly created this recipe so you can remember what all goes into it for a healthy and easy dinner for your little one. Serve and enjoy!