We absolutely love telluride. Summer 2020 was our first time to visit and we will 100% be back! We go to Crested Butte a ton, so I already have a Guide for CB if you want to check that out. Leave a comment if there is anything I am missing in this Telluride Travel Guide.
We are staying in the town of Telluride, but I’ve heard some people stay in Mountain Village. Mountain Village is a little town, and you can ride the 5-minute gondola into the town of Telluride. According to most of you, you can’t go wrong staying in either Mountain Village or Telluride. Both are great spots!
Bobbie is so serious with those brows haha
I’ll never forget our first family vacation with Bobbie
We had sunrise family pictures taken by Kristen Pierce. Highly recommend reaching out to her!
Most are family-friendly, but there are a few that might be best for adults-only/date night!
- Brown Dog Pizza
- They have “Detroit style” and regular thin crust pizza. Most people love the Detroit style but I prefer the thinner style that they offer.
- Smugglers Restaurant and Brewery
- located on the Telluride side. This was our favorite restaurant. Highly recommend the Wings paired with a beer or Aperol Spritz!
- Floradora Saloon
- Comfort food. Located on the Telluride side. Haven’t tried this but heard it’s great from many of you.
- Butcher and Baker
- located on the Telluride side. Ideal for breakfast in my opinion but could go for any meal!
- Tomboy Tavern
- great spot to enjoy a drink/meal in Mountain Village.
- We ordered the burgers and bloody marys and they were great.
- located on the Telluride side. Italian and great date night spot.
- Caleb and I ate here for our date night and everything we ordered was so yummy!
- Telluride Side. Delicious Thai food
- Highly recommend the coconut soup and drunken noodles. We love getting this for takeout for dinner to enjoy back at home.
- The National
- located on the Telluride side.
- Sheridan Chophouse
- Telluride side. This hotel has a super cool rooftop bar.
- We went for lunch and it was really yummy. I wish we had found time away from the kids to visit the rooftop bar.
- located at the top of the gondola
- A must for happy hour and truffle fries
- If you can’t get a reservation, then just go to the bar for happy hour. It’s on top of the mountain and the best views of the town.
- Telluride Bistro
- Telluride side. We didn’t have time to try this spot but it came highly recommended.
- There bar
- Reservations are needed because it’s tiny but soo fun. Reserve through Yelp.
- La Marmotte
- This was closed due to COVID when we were there but a lot of you recommend it for a nice french dinner night.
- great date night spot. leave the kids at home.
- La Piazza
- we didn’t have time to go here but a lot of you recommend it.
- Over the Moon
- cute European style cheese shop with lots of healthy snacks and drinks
- La Cocina De Luz
- Organic Mexican food. The homemade vegan coconut ice cream is a fan favorite.
some of the spots above are probably great for breakfast, too. These were just the ones that some that my community sent that I was told are specifically great for breakfast.
- Butcher and Baker
- was told to order the “Day Maker” sandwich.
- Baked in Telluride
- donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc
- great to grab goodies to take along a hike as a little snack!
- Sheridan Chophouse
- great for brunch on the patio with kids.
- Phoenix Bean Coffee Shop
- was told to order the avocado toast
- Ghost Town Coffee
- their toast is unreal!! (image below)
Download the app ‘all trails’ to see all the hikes in your area, etc.
- River Trail
- this is great for kids!
- Boomerang Hike from mountain village into the town
- super easy and almost all downhill
- Bear Creek Falls
- A MUST Hike!
- Such a wonderful hike that is walkable from town.
- The best waterfall at the end (image below)
- Going up any ski trails is so fun!
- San Migael River
- told this is a great walk with kids
More Difficult Hikes
- Bridal Veil Falls
- This hike really feels like you are hiking and less like a trail. Such a great workout and definitely more challenging than Bear Creek Falls. It has a beautiful waterfall at the top (image below)
- Blue Lake
- Silver Lake
- you have to drive to this one which I’ve heard is a bit scary.
- Hope Lake
- Jud Wiebe
- This was a great workout and can walk to it from town! The first mile up is definitely uphill and challenging but so rewarding!
- We rented a double stroller at Bootdoctors (the location in the town of Telluride)
- The Park in town
- we took out 2.5 year old here every day. We just walked along the river there and she loved putting her toes in the water. We would bring a few toys and let her play with them in the water. It’s right by a little pond for fishing (image below) and along the river so lots of fun things to do around here.
- Play by the river in town during the summer
- our house was near the river and we walked along the trail every day. Temple (our 2.5-year-old) loved playing in the water since the water was low.
- we also had a picnic by the river one day which was so wonderful
- Rent rafts and float the river in town during the summer
- we saw a lot of people floating the river and it looked like a lot of fun.
- Farmer’s Market
- Every Friday along South Oak on Telluride side. There’s also a Market up in Mountain Village on Sundays.
- Rent a Jeep and go up and over Imogene Pass to Ouray for lunch
- Hike or do a jeep tour of Bridal Veil Falls
- Trout Lake
- A 20-minute drive from Telluride. You can rent paddleboards and fly fish.
- Pack lunches and have a picnic at the lake!
- Take the gondola up to Mountain Village
- usually has live music Thursday/Friday from 5-7 and a fun turf area for kids to run and play
- was told to check for their weekly kid’s activities
- Has a playground which is great for kids
- Heritage is a store in Mountain Village that has cute stuff for women, men, and kids!
- lots of cute restaurants here too.
- Picnic or do a drive to Alta Lakes
- It’s an old mining town that is supposedly super cool
- Main street shopping in the town of Telluride
- Sublime and Down to Earth have great woman clothing
- Zia Sun Toy Store
Hanging by the river trail in town
Little Bobbie all smiles in Telluride